Tabs

Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Universal Language

Hola to all!  What a terrific day this has been.  We woke to a delicious breakfast with very good dark coffee, scrambled eggs, fresh delicious pineapple and toast.  We went to church and this was a wonderful experience.  Not knowing much of the language, I thought it would be hard to communicate with the people.  But that was hardly the truth.  There is a universal language that started from the minute we arrived in the DR.  This is called the Love of Christ which is seen through the wonderful hugs and kisses and Holas! wherever we have gone.  The people here are a very loving people.  They make us feel so welcome with their humbling hospitality.  


From the moment we entered the church we could all feel the Holy Spirit's presence among us.  I sat next to the church musicians, a group of young children with a drum, tambourine, and scraper.  They did a super job.  Through the music, the hugs, passing the peace, the smiles, and my daughter Rachel's words translating bits and pieces of the sermon, made me really feel part of this place.  These people surely know how to show you are loved, especially through the passing of the peace.  I think that all of us hugged everyone in the church, and not the kind of hugs that are just surface, but good strong hugs and sometimes kisses.  There were tears in my eyes that came from all the joy I felt in my heart.


After church I thought about once again how would I communicate with people that I could not speak much of their language.  I was certainly wrong again.  They set out chairs under a beautiful tree and had us sit together while the children played with our children, even some of our adult children.  We had fun playing, and yes, Bridget can play baseball.  


After a wonderful meal of chicken, mashed potatoes (different than ours, better I think), salad fixings, rice and beans, fruit and outstanding passion fruit drink; we sat around and started to sing.  Music is definitely the universal language.  I did not know all the meanings of the words or the tunes, but I sang as did many of us.  We smiled and laughed and sang and did this for hours.  The breeze under the tree was great.  Yes it is hot and humid, but somehow I forgot about the warmth of the heat and instead enjoyed the warmth that came from the love of the people.  


This has been a wonderful day and yes, God is definitely in this place.  I wish we could have these Sunday afternoon gatherings at Christ Church at least once in a while.  It is so restful and extremely enjoyable.  And yes, I am learning a little Spanish.  Love to all at Christ.  I wish you all could be here with us, but we feel that you are through all your prayers and love.  


Thanks be to God.  Amen!  
Deb


PS~Pictures to follow later this evening after we get ourselves organized for the first day of Bible School!

3 comments:

  1. Debie, Asegúrese de por favor que Bridget come su ensalada y verduras verde...

    Sounds like a wonderful day, apart from Italy beating England on penalty kicks, qué lástima!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a very relaxed and enjoyable day. I think of you all often and am sending positive thoughts and prayers your way as you grow and learn in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky Swanson SternJune 26, 2012 at 10:05 AM

    What a joyful way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete