Tabs

Friday, June 27, 2014

Allison:

Throughout this trip, I’ve taken time to sit and watch the children interacting with each other and with everyone else on the team. I’ve noticed how much the kids genuinely enjoy seeing us, and that even just giving them a hug means the world to them. They simply want to be with you. No matter if you’re sitting and watching them play or playing with them. 

On Monday, I was worried that the kids wouldn’t like me, I wouldn’t understand them, or I would feel awkward. Though this trip shoves us out of our comfortable bubble-like nest, we jumped right in. We were quite the sight to see jumping around while we sung, but there was never a moment where I felt uncomfortable or like I couldn’t interact with the children because I didn’t understand everything they said. The younger kids call us ‘Tia’ or ‘Tio’ and the other kids love to ask us ‘Como te llamas?’ and then pronounce our names to make sure they get it right. 

As the week progressed and we grew closer to the kids, they started to wait for us beside the gate and greet us with hugs and by yelling our names. These memories that we come away with, affect us infinitely. I fell in love with the people here, the culture, and the endless adventures. From painting the playground to playing Gato, Gato, Perro…these are experiences that last a lifetime. 

While we combated many hectic situations and were stressed, it was never terribly overwhelming and we worked quite well together as a team. Today was especially hectic as it was the day that kids came and picked up their report cards from the school, but we managed and had lots of fun too. There’s something to be said about becoming immersed in another culture. We’re all God’s children, it unites us and that’s what truly matters; not the language you speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment